Monday, June 27, 2011

10 Books That Changed or Impacted My Life

The Autobiography of Malcolm X – Alex Haley
What can I say? This is an absolute classic that has impacted young minds(especially black males) for generations. The most powerful concept in this book is the power of transformation. We are always told that we can become whatever we wish. Here is the story of a man who actually did it.

The Isis Papers:The Keys to the Colors – Dr. Frances Cress Welsing
Very, very controversial. This book attempts to answer the question, “Why is there racism/white supremacry?” The Isis Papers will not be comfortable reading for most. You’ve got to read this one with an open mind. Prepare to have your mind ‘blown’.

Moneyball – Michael Lewis
This book and the principles behind it have changed the dynamics of the national pastime for good.  There’s great information here for business students as well. Here comes sabermetrics. Saber who? Forget the upcoming movie. This book is the real deal.

Blindside – Michael Lewis
I read this way before the movie. I think I read it before Michael Oher was even drafted. This is a powerful lesson of how one person(or family) changed a young man’s life completely. Blindside made me evaluate whether or not I’m doing enough to help others. Once again, forget the movie. This book is the real deal. And if you didn’t know it, Michael Lewis is one helluva writer.

Gang Leader for a Day
A graduate student stumbles into one of Chicago’s most notorious housing projects…and the gang that runs it. What happens next is both shocking and eye-opening.  Without giving away too much, it turns out that the gang’s leader is a college grad. His story and he interplay between the two is really iluminating.

Freakonomics
Quite simply, this book will change the way you think of economics. I swear, if econ had been taught like this in college, I might have done much better.

Capone – John Kobler
I don’t know how long ago this book was written, but I do remember reading it when I was around 10 or 12 years old. Back then, a local TV station was running the old 1950’s show, ‘The Untouchables’. I loved it.  This book brought many of those TV series characters to life for me. It didn’t make me want to be a criminal or anything. Thank god.

How To Get Rich in Mail Order – Melvin Powers
Shortly after I entered college, I started a publishing business and I used the mail as my medium of choice.  I never did get rich but this book was one of my reference bibles that I used to succeed.  “How To Get Rich…” is a classic read and provided me with a true source of both wisdom and inspiration during those days.

Black Folks Guide to Making Big Money in America – George Subira
Black Folks Guide to Business Success – George Subira
Way before “Rich Dad, Poor Dad”, “The Millionaire Next Door” or Suza Orman were these two gems from Subira. Great for taking a lay person through business opportunities, financial investments, personal financial planning and really how to change your mind and program it for success!

What books have you read that either changed your life or made a great impact on you?

No comments:

Post a Comment